This illustration shows the two halves of the service reunited
in 1985, for the first time since 1919, shortly before they were
installed in the exhibition French Connections:
Scotland and the Arts of France in the Royal Museum, Edinburgh.
The tea and coffee equipment in the first chest was included in
one of the Hamilton Palace sales in 1919 and has been in the Musée
du Louvre, Paris, since 1952. Chest two -containing the punch
bowl, sugar bowl, double
salts, plates, toast racks and 'flatware'
or cutlery -was retained by the Dukes of Hamilton until 1976,
when it was purchased by the National Museums of Scotland, with
aid from the National Art Collections Fund.