© Lennoxlove House Ltd
Drawing of north front of palace as built, c.1822
Upon his succession to the ducal title and estates
in 1819, Alexander, 10th Duke of Hamilton
(1767-1852), then aged 51, lost no time in reviving plans to
enhance and enlarge the north front of Hamilton Palace, a scheme
which had lain dormant since the time of the 5th
Duke in the 1730s. His aim was to erect a grand residence which
not only reflected the increasing wealth and national standing of
the family but also provided an appropriately grand setting for
the considerable art collections which he continued to gather and
This ink and colour wash drawing is neither signed
nor dated, but it is certainly by David Hamilton (1768-1843) and
it dates from, or after, 1822 when work on the great north front
began. It shows the 15-bayed elevation as built, broadly as set
out in a simplified form in the Saponieri
drawings, but with the addition of end pavilions, a reversion
to the spirit of the older Adam design.
As designed and built, the pavilions were each framed within paired
pilasters (shallow, flat attached columns) of the same Corinthian
Order as the hexastyle portico.
By 1822, David Hamilton, Glasgow's leading architect,
was at the peak of his profession, an architect who was equally
well versed in Neo-Classical and Gothic Revival styles, and a man
who 'knew how to deport himself in the society of dukes and earls'.
He had already carried out, in about 1820, alterations to 12 (later
15) Portman Square, the London residence of the 10th Duke, and was
later responsible for the new additional church at Bothwell (c.1825-33)
where the monument to the 3rd Duke
was translated. His drawings for the church are dated 1824.