Coloured measured drawing of north elevation,
Ch‚telherault, locally known as The Wham,
is named after the French dukedom bestowed in 1549 upon James
Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran and Lord Governor of Scotland (d.1575).
Standing in a prominent, eye-catching position in Hamilton High
Parks, it is one of the largest and most elegant hunting lodges
in Britain. It was built between 1731 and 1743 by the 5th
Duke of Hamilton (1703-43) to the designs of the celebrated
architect, William Adam (1689-1748), both of whom referred to it
with casual irony as 'the dog kennel'.
As shown in this colour wash drawing, which is
based on a survey carried out in 1969 when the derelict and fire-damaged
structure was under threat, the main north front of Ch‚telherault
is almost 90m in overall length, slightly longer than the frontage
of Hamilton Palace which it faced about 2.5km away. It is handsomely
wrought in local orange-red sandstone and consists of two pairs
of three-storeyed pavilions linked by a long screen-wall with a
central gateway and deeply scalloped parapets. The ducal apartments
were contained in the western (right) group of pavilions, while
the eastern pavilions contained the servants' quarters and stables
with a kennel yard (now roofed over) behind.
Whilst generally conforming to Adam's published
design in Vitruvius Scoticus, the frontage
as completed betrays a number of variations in the detailed treatment
of the pavilion gables, the gateway, and the screen-wall and parapet.