Aerial view from north-east, 1997
The ancient woodlands around the Avon Water,
particularly on the west bank (top right), were one of the great
attributes of the royal hunting estate of Cadzow which came into
the possession of the progenitors of the Hamilton family in the
early 14th century. By the 1730s when the supremely elegant hunting
lodge of Ch‚telherault was being built, foxes were tending to replace
deer as the main prey of the hounds and mounted hunters, the deer
tending merely to become 'graceful appendages to the landscape'.
This oblique aerial view shows the functional
layout of Ch‚telherault, in which the servants' quarters and stables
in the eastern (left) group of pavilions are backed by a kennel
yard (now roofed over) and the ducal apartments in the western (right)
group of pavilions are associated with a restored parterre (ornamental
garden) and surrounding terrace which commands views over the deep
river gorge. Occupying a dramatic cliff-top site on the opposite
bank of the river, to the right of the Duke's Bridge (1863), are
the ruins of what is today known as Cadzow Castle.
Cadzow Castle consists of the remains of what
was once a strong, well-fortified tower (left) associated with ranges
of domestic buildings in an outer court (right), all evidently dating
from the first half of the 16th century and possibly a product of
Sir James Hamilton of Finnart, guardian of the 2nd
Earl of Arran (d.1575).