Hamilton Palace - a virtual reconstructionhomepage
linksrediscovering the palacepalace and parksexteriorsinteriorsthe hamilton familythe long gallerytreasures of the palacebuildings in the parkdispersal and demolitionlinks to related sites
  the palace and parks  
  Layout of Hamilton Palace Gardens (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, by Alexander Edward, 1708  
                 
  Click for Scran Resource
© Lennoxlove House Ltd
 

Hamilton Palace stood at the hub of an extensive formal garden landscape which had a great north-south avenue as its main axis. Probably originating in the late 17th century, the scheme was first clearly embodied in this garden layout drawn up in 1708 by Alexander Edward, architect (1651-1708), whose design may well have been influenced by other great formal gardens, including those of Versailles and Marly, with which he was familiar.

This large drawing, dated 31 August 1708, less than three months before Edward's death in November, is entitled 'A map with some alterations and additions to the walks, courts, avenues, plantations and inclosures of Hamilton', suggesting perhaps that it may have been partly based on an existing layout. The plan and the key show what was then a novel concern for open views across the surrounding countryside, many of the vistas terminating in distant buildings or natural features. In addition to the great avenue, the plan also shows a complex of hunting rides and avenues in the woodlands to the north-west (top left) and south-west (bottom left) of the estate, arranged radially around star-shaped 'etoiles'. In the immediate vicinity of the palace there is an elaborate pattern of plantations, orchards and gardens, including two large parterres (ornamental gardens) on the north side of the building.

Edward's layout formed the framework for later developments by his successors, most notably by William Adam (1689-1748), who introduced Ch‚telherault hunting lodge at an elevated point in the south avenue in the High Parks. To the north, it commanded a broad vista across the formal landscape of the Low Parks and, to the west, overlooked the wild forest of Cadzow around the gorge of the Avon Water.

 
                 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
  [ related links ]              
    Click for a detailed view of the palace with map overlayDetailed view of the palace      
                 
  Click for further informationAerial view of the site   Click for further informationWilliam Pettigrew plan, 1813      
                 
  Click for further information
Cadzow Oaks
  Click for further informationEngraving by John Slezer  
     
                 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
linksCopyright informationProject contributorshomepage