Hamilton Palace - a virtual reconstructionhomepage
linksrediscovering the palacepalace and parksexteriorsinteriorsthe hamilton familythe long gallerytreasures of the palacebuildings in the parkdispersal and demolitionlinks to related sites
  dispersal and demolition  
  Aerial view of Lennoxlove, East Lothian  
                 
  Click for Scran Resource
© Ian Macilwain
 

After his war service, including that during the Battle of Britain as Commandant of the Air Sector, Turnhouse (now the site of Edinburgh Airport) the 14th Duke of Hamilton in 1946 found at Lennoxlove, Haddington, East Lothian the home which he had been seeking for himself and his family.

Lennoxlove, formerly called Lethington, was from the 1400s to the end of the 17th century the home of the Maitlands of Lauderdale who transformed it from a medieval keep into a substantial house. Lady Frances Stewart ('la Belle Stewart', favourite of Charles II and said by Pepys to be the greatest beauty he had ever seen) married her cousin Charles, Duke of Richmond and Lennox and left a legacy of 50,000 to her nephew Alexander Blantyre for the purchase of a home to be called 'Lennox's Love to Blantyre' and the house, with its new name, passed to the Blantyre family.

 
                 
 

Lennoxlove, substantially improved in the 1830s by the then Lord Blantyre, remodelled by Sir Robert Lorimer in the early 1900s and redecorated by John Fowler for the 14th Duke and Duchess after 1946 is now the home to many of the outstanding family portraits by Lely, Mytens, Van Dyck, Raeburn, Kneller, Garrard, Gavin Hamilton and others which hung in the Long Gallery and other great apartments in Hamilton Palace.

 
                 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
  [ related links ]              
         
                 
             
                 
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
linksCopyright informationProject contributorshomepage