The colossal black marble chimneypieces and doorway
in the Long Gallery of Hamilton Palace were designed by David Hamilton,
the architect of the new north extension to the palace.
On 21 December 1829, David Hamilton & Son
undertook to have both chimneypieces and the doorway ready for installation
by the first week of February 1830.
David Hamilton & Son supplied a quotation
for three or more chimneypieces in white, black and gold, or black
marble in January 1833. However, most later orders for major items
in black marble were placed with the London Marble & Stone Working
Company, which had its office in Westminster and was able to obtain
top-quality Irish black marble in abundance. In the mid-1830s, the
London company received a series of commissions to make the two
colossal chimneypieces and door surrounds (to designs by David Hamilton)
for the new entrance hall on the first floor of the palace.