This view shows the building prior to recent conversion
works, the nearer (east) end wall now being attached to a modern
entrance section which links the building to the former Crawford
residence. Built of the local warm orange-red sandstone, the arcaded
treatment of the six-bayed exterior with clerestorey windows formed
in the arch-heads (lunettes) may reflect the original arrangement
of the top-lit stalls within, probably disposed in series on each
side of a central aisle.
The modern and appropriate use of this building
as a museum for the Cameronians, named in honour of the minister
Richard Cameron who was killed in 1680, provides a reminder of the
strong Covenanting traditions of the Hamilton area and of the Presbyterian
sympathies of the ducal family during the critical period of conflict
in the latter half of the 17th century. Aware of these sympathies,
after the Battle of Bothwell Brig in June 1679 many of the defeated
Covenanters sought refuge in the grounds of the palace from the
pursuit of the victorious Government army under the Duke of Monmouth.
He complied with Duchess Anne's request not to enter her parks 'lest
he disturb the game'.